Medical Assistant Job Description
The following is a typical job description of a Medical Assistant.
- Assist in examination and treatment of patients under the direction of a physician.
- Interview patients, measure vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height) and record information on patients' charts.
- May be required to draw and collect blood samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis. (if licenced to do so)
- Prepare treatment rooms for examination of patients. Inform patients of costs for care being provided and guide them to appropriate resources for further information.
- Type routine correspondence and reports from dictation or handwritten copy.
- Answer telephones, screen callers, relay messages and greet visitors.
Rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Work under immediate supervision. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.